Sunday, December 20, 2009

Canada

So I'm in Canada right now, and it's not as different as I thought it would be. It's not very much colder than Utah, I've only met one person with an accent (a-boat/about), and I've only heard one "eh". I am so disappointed! I went to my grandpa's church today, but it was a little awkward because I didn't know anyone in my classes. My friends wouldn't believe me, but I'm really not a naturally loud person. So I felt pretty weird the whole time, though these two girls Sarah and Keely were both really nice. Apparently in Canada French is a class that everyone has to take. And, if they want to, they can go on to French immersion. That means that all their classes are in French so they can learn it more fluently. I felt bad for them because they all had these big exams they had to take before Christmas break, except for they get 3 weeks off.

One thing that I really look forward to when we go to Canada is the candy. I promised all my friends to bring back some Smarties for them. Smarties are amazing. Instead of wimpy little powdery things, they are these really good chocolates. You could compare them to M&Ms, but Smarties are bigger and better. I also like the Mackintosh toffee, which is also really good. My dad and brother like "Big Turks", but I'm not a big fan. Basically they're chocolate bars with a purple jelly filling. I don't like them very much. I can't wait for tomorrow when I can stock up on all my favorite sweets.

Usually our family car trips are pretty hectic and involve a lot of kicking and shouting. This time however, we couldn't see each other because there were boxes and/or suit cases in between each of us. I think my parents planned it. It worked though. There was no, "She's touching me!" or "He's breathing my air!", so it probably made the 12-hour ride better for everyone. We left at 4:30 AM and got here at around 4:30 PM. We watched Harry Potter 6, listened to a lot of music, and I even did my math homework to get it out of the way so I can enjoy the rest of my break.

There hasn't been a lot to do today after church ended. My mom and brother went with my grandma to her Baptist church, which I guess was pretty interesting. They had 4 or 5 baptisms today. My brother thought it was kind of cool that there was someone playing a bass guitar at the church. He also said that a lot of the women there got really into the hymns. Some of them were standing up, raising their arms, and swaying. They said that it was definitely a different kind of church then what they were used to, but I think it's cool that they got to see what another religion is like.

Tomorrow we're going to go out and do something, but I'm not really sure what. I'm just so glad that it's finally Christmas break, and Christmas is just 5 days away!

0 comments: